Friday, April 17, 2009

Thoughts from 30,000 feet

Have you ever feared for your life? Well, Allie and I (Abbie) thought we were going to die on our way to Houston. Prior to that after getting to the airport we found out that we were going to be delayed for an hour and a half; we thought that was going to be the worst part of our day, but we were wrong. Sadly we were wrong because we hit horrible turbulence thinking we were going to crash. Luckily, we are ok but now we are a little scared for our lives. ☺ And as we were going through this really scary time for us, Alex Wright was sleeping the whole time! We had no idea how he could because it was so bad, but for some reason he did. Well that’s all for Abbie and Allie. See you when we get home.



I write to you from the airplane that nearly killed us all. It was a very bumpy ride to Houston but we made it safely. We are now on our second flight into LAX. As I sit on the plane, I reflect on the experiences I had in Jackson. This past week we had in Jackson was absolutely amazing. We all had a blast. There were many pranks played on us, most of which included us getting soaked head to toe. I learned so much about God, social injustice, and myself. I learned that service is about glorifying God and showing others God’s love through my actions and words. I knew going into this trip I would learn and experience new things I had never experienced before, but I didn’t expect how much I would learn or how amazing those experiences would be. God spoke to me about my calling as a Christian to love and care for his people. I learned that racism still exists, but it isn’t the only type of injustice present today. I prejudice against people who lead different lifestyles than my own. I ignore a kid at school because he may be different than my group of friends. I ignore the poor and homeless that I see everyday. One of the main topics we discussed in Jackson was how to apply what we have learned on this trip back at Ontario Christian and in our communities. I realized there is so much I can do to help. I never realized that talking to kids that may feel left out or sitting at a different table at lunch could be considered doing justice. I hope that our team steps up and helps the people that need it. I also found hope in my generation. The group of teenagers (and leaders) that came on this trip inspired me. They challenged me in so many ways. They asked questions that made me think about my relationship with Christ and how I live out my faith. They were also extremely fun to hang out with. We had a blast working hard this week and I know we made valuable friendships centered around Christ. Well, I better stop typing because the computer battery is about to die. We look forward to seeing all of you at home and telling you our stories.
Jessamyn Libolt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors