Saturday, April 3, 2010

Wade In The Water

An old black man once sang, Wade In The Water, a negro spiritual. Today I saw how far we have come as a people... How the dreams of my ancestors have been fulfilled through me. Seeing where Martin Luther King Jr was shot and an underground railroad station, opened my eyes. He saw a need for CHANGE and decided through faith and actions "We Shall Overcome" because he knew that faith without action is dead. So seeing where we, as African-Americans, were 45 years ago and where we are today made a tremendous difference in my life. As an African-American, I need to take advantage of all my opportunities and choose to "make the difference that I want to see in the world," as said by Ghandi. There is a quote that I love and it says, "Even in the midst of our worst struggles, our forefathers knew that a part of our advancement and growth began with a sound education." We should not complain and as proud African-Americans we should hold our heads up high and repeat the words of Martin Luther King Jr. "Free at last, Free at last...Thank God Almightily we are Free at last".

Sara Luttrell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors