Monday, April 1, 2013

Jackson & Easter


This trip has showed me a lot about my life that I have taken for granted. When we toured West Jackson I could really see the brokenness in the community. There are entire streets that the buildings are completely destroyed and famous landmarks in history are like a ghost town. Thad, who was our tour guide, told us that every one and four houses in West Jackson is boarded up and vacant. This made me realize that the Spencer Perkins Foundation has really made a safe place for these kids to come to and learn values that they can take with them for the rest of their lives. I am so blessed to be here on this trip and to have these experiences.

On Easter Sunday we went to New Horizon Church. At first I was a little worried because going to other churches is really out of my comfort zone. I use to worry that the “new” church would have contradicting ideas with my “old” church. But, I think I have a strong enough grip on my beliefs to attend a different church. The church was in this huge warehouse, like an old Costco. I was a little confused, but the inside was beautiful. I have never been hugged so much in my life. I could go on and on about the differences, but the main concept behind all churches is to give praise to God and then learn from his word. The part of the service that really touched me was when people would come up to the stage and give these beautiful testimonies. God has really changed their lives for the better because of their faith. Then, they would walk across the stage and everybody would stand up and give them a round of applause. The story that was absolutely extraordinary was of this husband and wife who had four kids with sickle cell anemia. She would pray to God before each birth that this child would not inherit the disease. When the news came that they had the disease her doubt would strengthen and her faith weaken. She never gave up on God and over time, and many operations they are all free of the disease to this day! God really can change people’s lives. An aspect that was consistent throughout all the stories was that it all happened over a long period of time. Faith takes obedience, patience, and perseverance.

Love & God Bless,
Breann Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors