Friday, April 29, 2011

Beautifully Broken

The Delta is the most fertile region in all of Mississippi. It's rich farm lands leave the area lush and green. Coming up to the church we worked on I was taken by surprise at what I saw. The church was smaller than my house, no running water in the kitchen, torn up carpet, no cleaning supplies, dust everywhere, leaking roofs, and spiders in almost every corner. My first reaction was this is going to be a challenge, and I am not sure if it is even possible to fix this place at all. The church seemed unfixable, beaten down, abandoned, broken. As I started to scrub the kitchen I began to see the stove turn from a nasty yellow-brown to white again. All though it did not look pprofessionally done as we departed from the church, I started to see a sort of beauty amidst all the destruction. God was using that church in some way, some how to reach people. The congregation experiences the King in that beat up little church in the Mississippi Delta. God is using the broken to build up beauty.

I am that church. I was broken, beaten, beyond repair. Then something happened that I was, and still am, so undeserving of. God saw beauty in me. He chose me. He cleaned me. He empowered me. God is in the business of finding broken people and using them to bring Him glory. When He takes control, things start to grow and magnificent things begin to happen in the most unimaginable ways. I am reminded that God's kingdom is not a place for perfect people. It is a place for the redeemed and the justified. It is a place where the lost are given hope and where only by the blood of the Lamb are lives transformed. The church Wednesday showed me a glimpse of God's bigness and incomparable mercy and compassion He has for the broken hearted. The Kingdom of God is full of beauty amidst the broken. We are a redeemed generation. A chosen people, that the King has invited to bring Heaven to earth, so that He may be glorified. The Creator is building up His Kingdom here on earth through His royal priesthood. He is pulling people out of their brokenness, breaking their chains, and setting them free. God is mighty to save.

This is life changing.
This is good news.



-Hailie

1 comment:

  1. Hailie,

    I love that you see the Kingdom of God, which Jesus focused much of his attention on, as something that is here among us. You got it!!! This is exactly how Jesus explained it! When God takes over a persons life or a situation, that is the Kingdom of God! So awesome. Great to see all your posts, Jackson Team!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Contributors