Friday, March 25, 2016

Day 1 and Day 2

Jackson Team 2016 is a great team. I was not quite sure what to expect coming back again because I have memories from the first time I came, two years ago. But I made sure before I came back that I did not turn those memories into expectations that I had for this trip. My decision to come back to Jackson was not a hard decision because I knew when I left that this place in 2014 that I wanted to come back. Some things have changed since I was here last, some for the good and some not. When we turned on the street to come to the foundation I knew exactly where I was and I was really excited to see the foundation and Dr. Perkins again. Our first day, consisted of traveling and a lot of team bonding. We really got to know each other when we got the time to talk and play games. Last night the team watched “Ghosts of Mississippi,” watching this movie prepared us for our tour of Medgar Evers’ house. The movie portrays the story of Medgar Evers’ life and the trial of his murderer many years later. Seeing the house and the neighborhood was very surreal. The craziest part of the tour of seeing the house was seeing the bullet holes in the wall. The morning before we went to his house we had devotions led by Dr. Perkins. This morning there were a few things that stuck out to me. He said that people doing better when they have a common goal and purpose which is very true in my life. Dr. Perkins brought up Psalm 139 which is a very powerful Psalm because it brings up that God knew us in our mother’s womb and He knows every word we speak before we even speak them. That last part really hit me hard because I have struggled with my mouth in the past and I still struggle with it and I need to work on that but I cannot do it without God. Throughout today I saw my team’s minds spinning as we listened and walked around Evers’ house. I know that God has good things planned for us on our trip.


-Casey Jacob





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors