Friday, March 25, 2016

A good Good Friday


Mic check 1, 2, 1, 2. So I guess I'm in charge of the blog today!
            So this morning started off as all our days here in Jackson will, with devotions. Dr. Perkins spoke of Reconciliation and what that should actually look like. Our solution to racism so far has been to make peace with each other and let  that should fix everything. But we've done that, for the most part, and there's still racism. So where does the issue lie? We need to make peace with GOD first before we can even attempt to make peace with one another. We have to make the solution BIGGER than the problem. We try to make God small and we forget how much He really can do. God is big enough to solve racism. He only created on race- the human race. Dr. Perkins loves to say that one haha. When we limit God is when we stop finding solutions.
             After devotions, that we all stayed awake for (cough,cough), we headed over to the Antioch House to begin our service project. This year, we’re fixing up the lawns of some local people in Jackson. The houses are owned by the Perkins Foundation, but regular citizens of Jackson live in them. My group got put in the front of the house so I got to see everyone as they drove past and look at all of the other houses in the neighborhood. Even when we drove around yesterday, I was observing how run down the city is. It's so crazy to come to a place like this because I basically live in a bubble. At OC, we’re automatically privileged because we go to a private school. I don't really think any of us have a real reason to complain in comparison to the people that live here. I have so much to be grateful for. I'm not exactly sure what God plans to teach me from this trip, but I don't doubt that gratitude will be included. Dr. Perkins has mentioned several times the true definition of joy. What is it, you ask? GRATITUDE. That statement just makes so much sense to me. Having a grateful attitude means that basically nothing can bring you down. Gratitude changes your perspective on life, and a changed perspective leads to a life of happy days. I don't know if any of that made much sense because it's such a broad topic, but if it did, I hope that you were as impacted as I was.

Thanks for reading and I hope that you'll continue to pray for us as we continue along on our Jackson Journey.

Much Love,
Danielle Houston :)

I'm backkkkkkk! There are too many things going on that I can't just not share them all.

            A couple of minutes ago we finished our Good Friday devotions. Honestly, I had gone through this day only remembering the fact that it was Good Friday maybe once or twice. But while we were reading, I found myself asking myself, “Why die? What could be worth that much?” It's not like Jesus even just died a “normal” death. No. He was crucified. What could be worth that much? Me. Us. All of us. Not just blacks. Not just whites. All of us. We're all worth it. That's so crazy to me and I am so grateful. Today, I am most thankful for Jesus Christ. Honestly, I'm probably not even thankful enough.
              So I encourage you, that on this Good Friday, you take the time to realize what Jesus did for YOU. No greater love is this… The greatest love of all is felt by the Creator of the universe, for you. Just for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors