Monday, April 6, 2015

Memphis! - thoughts from Sydnee and Emma

         Today, the Jackson Team travelled to Memphis, Tennessee to learn about our nation's dark history of slavery. Before today, I had only known the basic, surface level knowledge of what slavery was truly like. Even though it took a total of six hours in a van to Memphis and back with a needy, restless baby and old man (my father)(…just kidding…ha…ha), I'm very content that we had this opportunity; I don't regret it at all.
          This trip was a huge eye opener for me personally. I'd always known about all of the slaves' struggles and abuse they had to endure but I had never truly understood it on a deep, personal level. I'd acknowledge it and then just shove it to the back of my head, moving on to my daily routine of life, not even giving it a second thought. But now I understand that being a slave must've been tough. Extremely tough. I just keep on thinking to myself that those slaves must've been so strong and persistent. They went through innumerable, oppressing horrors yet they still had the spirit to fight back. I can't help but admire their strength and faith in God.           What truly got to me on this entire trip was God's continual deliverance of His people. He's always there, through thick and thin and I think that's truly amazing. Although times were extremely difficult for the blacks, God continually delivered and cared for them. Now, I understand that there's still some segregation in America today, but honestly, it's not nearly as bad as it was back before the civil rights. 

--Sydnee



Today we drove to Memphis and saw the Slave Haven Underground Railroad Museum. It was amazing to see how such an ordinary looking house could have such an impact on someone's life. The one painting that portrayed the slaves that were thrown overboard was a personal favorite. It's horrible that they were just thrown overboard when they became ill because of the harsh living conditions, but it never occurred to me that they actually received freedom before all of the others, that they were better off. 

We also visited the National Civil Rights Museum while we were in Memphis. It was amazing because it walked you through the history of the slaves and the civil rights movement. It really impacted me because it was interactive and they had statues of iconic figures throughout the museum along with important events. They allowed us to take pictures with the figurines as well. We were even allowed to see the room that Martin Luther King Jr. was staying in right before his assassination. Overall, it was a great day that really opened my eyes to the oppression that has been going on for centuries and even continues today.

--Emma 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors