Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter Reflections from Nicole and Stephanie

Today on this Easter Sunday, I experienced two completely different emotions.

The Jackson team was graciously welcomed for the Easter service that was held at Common Ground. It was an opportunity to worship God in a new way. Although we live in the same country, Mississippi and California have very different cultures. It is even evident in the church services. Personally I enjoyed the openness and the comfortability of the environment in Jackson. I actually felt comfortable enough to sing out loud for my own personal form of worship. The friendliness of the church members filled the atmosphere and I believe everyone was touched at the service.

The second emotions I felt were polar opposites of feeling that I felt early that same day. Anger and ____ were the only things I could feel after watching the film, "The Mississippi Burning". The film retold the story of the three activists that were viciously murdered by the KKK and how their bodies were treated like pieces of trash. Two FBI agents attempted to find the murders in a town filled with ignorance and racism. The town was corrupted in their government and their townspeople. The mayor and the sheriff were even members of the KKK. The movie depicted the time period accurately. It disgusted me how human lives were treated like animals. 

Overall it was a another great day at Jackson, Mississippi.

--Nicole



Today we had the amazing opportunity to celebrate Easter here in Jackson at the Common Ground Church. I really enjoyed the service and it was awesome being able to see how other people worship. I loved how passionate the people are for Jesus and that they are not shy at all to express their love for him, whether it was through dancing or singing. I had never experienced a service like that and I am so glad that I was able too. I also loved the fact that people were so welcoming and friendly at the church. They made us feel very welcome and not at all awkward. They even gave the newcomers t-shirts! Overall I loved the service and I would definitely go back again.

Later tonight we watched Mississippi Burning together. It actually turned out to be a great movie. As I watched the movie, I felt this sadness come over me and anger at the thought that Ana would go and burn down another mans home and then kill him in front of his family! It amazes me at the fact that even the local government officials, the ones that were suppose to make people feel safe, were part of the evil! It also made you realize the power of the mind. The fact that the hate towards the African Americans was something that was taught at such a young age is something that is just beyond me.  The movie made me realize how much more corrupt everything was down here. A positive not is that even though people here have gone through hell and back they have stood strong. Seeing all these things makes me want to become a better person and work harder to ensure that everyone that I need or interact with, feels that they are welcome and accepted No matter what they look like. This has been a huge eye opener for me and I love all the things that I have been able to learn.

-Stephanie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors