Saturday, April 19, 2014

One thing that had an impact on me today was my trip to the supermarket. I joined Tyler, Chris, and one of the staff, Evan, on a trip to the market to get ice tonight. Tyler asked me to join last minute and I thought they may need the extra help. Entering the truck I was not exactly enthusiastic about leaving house. I now know I am extremely grateful for Tyler inviting me on the quick trip. As we drove down the street, I saw people sitting on corners of streets, outside of homes, and in parks along the road. The trucks windows were down giving me a better look at each situation. Kids walked the streets of West Jackson at 7:30 unsupervised. Men sat in the streets looking as if they have been drained of all hope and determination. The supermarket was unlike any market I have ever seen. The shelves looked stripped of its products and the store appeared run down. Produce was nonexistent in the store. The people in the area are being deprived of the quality produce that we take for granted. While we drove back to the house I felt there was so much inequality in the city. I prayed to God asking if there will ever be true equality in these types of cities nation wide. Looking back, I am grateful that Tyler invited me along. I saw the reality that some may refuse to accept. This experience has made me want to find ways to improve communities that are in our own home towns. I was fortunate enough to meet Lee Harper who owned her own coffee shop in West Jackson. She told us her goal was to establish a place where people of all backgrounds can come to be together. After hearing the goal of Lee Harper, I realized that I can make the same change in my own community and her goal was similar to mine. Those experiences have laid a foundation for goals I hope to accomplish when I get home.


Jonathan


Koinonia Coffee House, West Jackson

This coffee house, owned and operated by Lee Harper, is a beautiful picture of a business that seeks to impact its community for good.  As we enjoyed our lattes and smoothies, Lee shared her story and her vision for the community of West Jackson - a community that many other businesses avoid.  Yet, she seeks to provide a place where both the wealthy seeking out good coffee and the poor or homeless looking for a place to read the newspaper can sit at the same table, share the same space, and find themselves as equals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors